The Germans had their Germania, the Bavarians had their Bavaria and the "Waldeckians" had their WALDECCIA. After the German-French war in 1870/71, which ended with Napoleon´s capture, the victory of the German federation and the foundation of the German empire, victory monuments were being erected everywhere in Germany.

Among several offers, a decision was made on the outline of the sculptor Ernst Paul from Adorf. The names of the 27 soldiers killed in action during the German-French War were posted on the base. After its completion the French limestone victory statue of 350 hundredweight caused a dispute about where to erect it. In 1878 Waldeccia was inaugurated on the square between Kiliankirche and Stechbahn.


Until 1873, among other buildings, Cont´s Apotheke had been located in this position. These buildings became victims of a terrible fire. In 1937/38 extensive canalization works were performed on the Stechbahn. In the course of these activities it came to a denotation of very rocky ground, as a consequence of which Waldeccia´s lifted arm was torn off. It is not clear till this day, if her crown also got lost due to the detonation. The stonemason Wilhelm Kaltenborn moulded her a new arm.


Waldeccia has now been looking at the city hall for more than a 130 years, although repeatedly there have been voices in favour of a demolition. In 2002 Waldeccia was being cleaned profoundly. Today she shines a new light.


© Sebastian Hessel/ Carl von Randow/ M. Möller


Hans Osterhold: Meine Stadt. Korbacher Bauten erzählen Stadtgeschichte, hrsg. vom Magistrat der Kreisstadt Korbach, 3. Aufl., Korbach 2004.

Die Häuser in Alt-Korbach und ihre Besitzer, bearb. von Hermann Thomas, hrsg. vom Stadtarchiv Korbach, Heft 5, Korbach 1959.